Camtasia (formerly Camtasia Studio) is well known and a versatile tool that has evolved to integrate screen capture and post-processing tools targeted at the educational and information multimedia development marketplace. It lets you create professional quality promotional or instructional videos using screen capture, via a direct plug-in to Microsoft PowerPoint or by adding footage to videos from a webcam. The recorded videos can then be edited using a variety of tools such as:
- Multiple Transitions
- Voice Narration
- Zoom and Pan effects
- Cursor Effects
- Captions and more...
It also allows audio or other multimedia recordings to be recorded at the same time or added separately from other sources. Another feature that Camtasia offers is that of its built-in SWF Producer which converts the AVIs into bandwidth-friendly Streaming Flash Videos (SWFs).
Here is how you can capture/ record screens using Camtasia.
There are two sections in this document:
1. After you have signed-in to the VIDIZMO portal, click on the Add New Media (+) icon located on the top right-hand side of the navigation bar.
2. From the Add New Media page, click on Capture Screen.
3. A new screen Capture Screen / Camera page will open. Select Camtasia Studio.
4. You will be taken to the Camtasia Studio's Sign In screen:
i. Enter your email address.
ii. Click on Next.
Note: If you are not already registered, click on the Create a new account link, which lets you try Camtasia Studio free for 30 days after which you can subscribe to its paid service.
Follow the steps to complete the Camtasia installation.
5. From the Setup Options, enable the PowerPoint Add-on, check the last checkbox.
If PowerPoint is not installed, it will display the message in red as shown in the image below. In which case you need to install Microsoft PowerPoint first before installing Camtasia.
6. Clicking on the Continue button will initiate the installation process. This may take several minutes. If you have applications running, it may ask you to close some of them.
7. You will be notified once the installation is completed. Click Finish to proceed.
8. As the checkbox to launch Camtasia Studio after installation was selected in Step #5, it will launch when you click on Finish.
Now you are ready to record using Camtasia.
Click on New Recording to start recording your screen.
14. Select the area which you want to record.
15. Click on the Record (rec) button to start recording.
16. Click on Stop once you are done.
17. The entire recording will be saved. You can preview by clicking on the Play button.
If you have PowerPoint installed and if you have selected the PowerPoint Add-on during Camtasia installation, Camtasia Studio will show the following message when you open the PowerPoint for the first time after the Camtasia Studio install:
The link "Open the Getting Started presentation" walks you through to the simple steps to record your presentation. Follow the steps described below:
1. When the PowerPoint tool opens, navigate to the Add-ins tab on the PowerPoint Toolbar.
2. On the top left-hand side, it displays the Camtasia Recording toolbar:
i. Use the red button to launch the presentation and start recording.
ii. Clicking on the microphone mutes/unmutes the mic so that you can stop recording audio at any step of the presentation. Camtasia Studio will continue to record with the audio.
iii. The third button on the toolbar lets you turn on or off your device's camera during a recording.
iv. Use this button to preview what the device's camera is capturing. It is important to note that the camera preview window will be recorded also if it appears in the recording area.
v. The last button on the toolbar allows you to define other Add-in options such as:
- Start recording paused
- Include Watermark
- Edit in Camtasia when finished
- Video/ Audio/ Frame rate settings
- Audio source
- Setup hotkeys etc.
3. To start a recording, first, select your recording options, test your audio, whether you want to use the camera and if you would like to capture the camera input as well using the camera preview window. Then press the Record button to start.
Use the "Click to begin" button on the small window that opens next. You can also test your audio before from the pop-up window before you begin the recording.
4. To finish your recording, use the Esc key on your keyboard or use the hotkey if you have configured any in step #2 above.
5. Once the recording has stopped, Camtasia for PowerPoint will prompt for the following options:
- Produce your video
- Edit your recording
Select the appropriate option and continue by clicking on the OK button. In the example below, Produce recording option has been selected since we will be producing the recording for streaming purposes.
6. In the last step, Produce your Recording option was selected. This option launches the Camtasia Production Wizard. From the drop-down, you can select how the recording is to be saved.
Select the MP4 Only (up to 1080p).
Click on the Next button to continue with your selection.
7. Select the output location for the finished video.
When you click on the Finish button, a progress bar will be displayed to show the progress while the video is being rendered.
8. When the video rendering process is complete, the Wizard lists the Production results. One feature that is worth mentioning here is the ability to save the production as a preset so that future productions can be made easily and much faster.
9. The finished recording is saved to the predefined location. To use this video, open the location folder and upload to your VIDIZMO portal.
Click here to learn more on How To Upload Media in VIDIZMO.
Since VIDIZMO allows users to upload, publish and view SCORM by importing SCORM compliant learning content, you can use Camtasia to save your presentations as SCORM. This e-Learning content is adapted easily to individual and corporate requirements to create videos, presentations, interactive activities such quizzes and surveys, tests and more. Although PowerPoint presentations are among the most widely used, just about anything can be created using SCORM authoring tools.
Among the many benefits of using SCORM, the most common are:
- Accessibility: SCORM content is easily accessible 24/7 anywhere and anytime, during creation as well as after it is published as Live content on your LMS system as the instructional material can be accessed from one location and delivered to many other locations.
- Adaptability: SCORM content can be tailored for individuals as well as organizational needs, providing full flexibility on the type of content required. This way you can reach your target audience and their unique ways of learning.
- Reusability: SCORM content is reusable as it can be used in multiple courses or re-purpose it to create a totally new set of courses, allowing you to make changes anytime. The content can optionally be set up to update your live content as the content is changed.
- User Engagement: One of the greatest advantages of SCORM is the ability to add gamified content. Instructional design in the e-Learning industry uses gamification to create engaging and interactive content to motivate individuals to achieve their goals. This helps you create a competitive environment encouraging people to perform to the best of their abilities.
- Affordability: Increase productivity and efficiency by directing your efforts in creating courses rather than spending time and money in delivering using tradition instructions.
The following steps walk you through the process of saving your PowerPoint presentation as SCORM content.
1. When the recording is complete and you reach Step #6 - Welcome to the Camtasia Production Wizard, instead of selecting MP4 Only (up to 1080p), select Custom production settings.
Click on the Next button to continue.
2. The next screen allows you to select the format of your final video. Use the default and recommended option, which will be selected already.
Click on the Next button to continue.
3. Clicking on the Next button from the previous step brings up the Smart Player Options, which provides a host of features to include in your production. Select the appropriate feature(s) and when done, click on the Next button to continue.
4. The next step of the Wizard provides options to customize the content of your production. Select the SCORM option and click on the Options button to fine tune your SCORM settings like defining completion requirement (viewing percentage) and SCORM package options.
When done, click on the Next button to continue.
5. Marker Options screen allows you to Select the slides which will form the Table of Content (TOC) entries. Add or remove the check-marks next to the slides or rename your slides.
Click Next to continue.
6. Finally, select the output location and click on the Finish button to complete the process. A pop-up will appear showing the status of the video being rendered.
7. the Production Wizard end with the final screen with the Production results while at the same time a browser opens to display your rendered project as a SCORM package.
Click on the Finish button on the Wizard to close the window.
Clicking on the Open Production Folder will take you to saved project files on your computer:
To learn more about SCORM and related articles, click on
For further reading, click on the following articles:
Actions: Get, Update, Add